Who is George MeredithGeorge Meredith OM (12 February 1828 – 18 May 1909) was an English novelist and poet of the Victorian era. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature seven times.
Life Meredith was born in Portsmouth, Hampshire, a son and grandson of naval outfitters. His mother died when he was five. At the age of 14 he was sent to a Moravian School in Neuwied, Germany, where he remained for two years. He read law and was articled as a solicitor, but abandoned that profession for journalism and poetry. He collaborated with Edward Gryffydh Peacock, son of Thomas Love Peacock, in publishing a privately circulated literary magazine, the Monthly Observer. He married Edward Peacock's widowed sister Mary Ellen Nicolls in 1849 when he was twenty-one years old and she wa...
Read Full Biography
George Meredith Poems
- Aneurin's Harp
Prince of Bards was old Aneurin;
He the grand Gododin sang; ...
The Tyrant passed, and friendlier was his eye
On the great man of Athens, whom for foe ...
- Men And Man
Men the Angels eyed;
And here they were wild waves, ...
- The Hueless Love
Unto that love must we through fire attain,
Which those two held as breath of common air;
The hands of whom were given in bond elsewhere;
Whom Honour was untroubled to restrain. ...
- A Roar Through The Tall Twin Elm-trees
A roar thro' the tall twin elm-trees
The mustering storm betrayed:
The South-wind seized the willow
That over the water swayed. ...
Top 10 most used topics by George MeredithLove 139 I Love You 139 Life 116 Heart 106 Earth 102 Light 90 Sweet 82 Never 75 Night 73 Sun 72
George Meredith Quotes
- But O the truth, the truth. The many eyes That look on it The diverse things they see.
- But O the truth, the truth. The many eyes That look on it! The diverse things they see.
- I expect Woman will be the last thing civilized by Man.
- There is nothing the body suffers which the soul may not profit by.
- Who rises from a prayer a better man, his prayer is answered.
Comments about George Meredith
- Folkloressumer: “they left me alone” - meredith talking about cristina, derek, lexie, george and izzie im sobbing
- Infinita_fiori: cold as a mountain in its star-pitched tent, stood high philosophy, less friend than foe: whom self-caged passion, from its prison-bars, is always watching with a wondering hate. not till the fire is dying in the grate, look we for any kinship with the stars. george meredith
- Meganhu63232620: ok “a witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.” ― george meredith
- Mablego24945832: “a witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.” ― george meredith
- Wmnostalgiafest: may 18 mem: mary charleson, walter fitzgerald, frank capra, jack raine, meredith willson, george e stone, sigrid gurie, richard brooks, robert j wilke, james donald, massimo girotti, bill macy, liam sullivan, pernell roberts, robert morse, d hickman, a katsulas, h keays-byrne.